A.C. Milan will hold talks with Real Madrid today about
signing its Brazil striker Ronaldo, the record goalscorer at soccer's
``In principle, Ronaldo isn't for sale but you have to listen to the
player,'' Real Madrid President Ramon Calderon told reporters last night.
Milan officials ``insisted on coming and we've invited them because this
is a polite club.''
Milan, which advanced to the six-match Champions League group stage
yesterday to secure at least $19 million in revenue, would have to pay
double that for Real Madrid to release Ronaldo, the three-time world
player of the year who turns 30 next month, Spain's ABC newspaper
Ronaldo, accused of being lazy and overweight by Madrid fans last season,
said on Feb. 20 he'd consider his future because supporters don't make
him feel welcome. He is ``willing'' to join Milan, Gazzetta dello Sport
reported today, citing Milan Chairman Adriano Galliani.
The Brazilian, who scored a World Cup record 15th goal for his country
in Germany, spent five years with Milan's crosstown rival Inter before
joining Madrid in 2002. He is currently recovering from knee surgery.
He has two years left on his contract. Last month's acquisition of Ruud
van Nistelrooy lifted the number of strikers in the Madrid squad to six.